If your baby is estimated to arrive sometime this month, you may have felt a little bit concerned when you first did the math - we all know how much it sucks to have a birthday close to Christmas. But have no fear! Since Christine and I both celebrate our birthdays within two weeks of Christmas, we thought we would compile a list of reasons that having a birthday close to Christmas actually rocks:
- You only have to write one gift wish list. I don't know about you, but I find thinking up gift ideas is hard. I find it even harder to buy gifts for people, so I write wish lists because I know how much easier it makes everyone else's life. Lucky you if your birthday is close to the holidays - you only have to come up with one list!
- It's good for the environment - combined Christmas/Birthday gifts = less wrapping paper. We all love planet earth, but those of us with holiday birthdays clearly love her just a little bit more. When everyone combines your birthday and Christmas presents, there's less wrapping paper AND less mess to clean up. Score!
- It's economical for your loved ones - only one gift to buy! Money is tight these days, especially in Alberta with oil prices being so low. For those of us with holiday birthdays, our friends and family are all breathing a sigh of relief. They can get away with only laying out enough dough for one gift. It's actually quite considerate of us.
- You say those are Christmas cookies, but we know you really made them for us. Nom nom nom. Who doesn't love a delicious Christmas..I mean Birthday cookie? And because we're also celebrating our birthdays, those extra 5 cookies don't count. Happy Birthday!
- Extra festive birthday parties because fairy lights! We both love Christmas decorations - they're so pretty and twinkly. But we get to co-opt them as birthday decorations too. Bet you're all jealous now, aren't you?
- The general air of cheerfulness is contagious. Most people seem to go out of their way to be just a little bit kinder, more compassionate, and generous around the holidays. All that good cheer is positively catching and it's a wonderful energy to surround yourself in when you're celebrating a birthday.
So get on with your bad self and have a lovely December labor and birth! Your baby will love having a holiday birthday.
Merry Christmas...I mean Happy Birthday to us!